Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Mitzvah of Wunderground

On April 8th it will not only be erev Pesach but the one and only chance for the next 28 years to say the Bircas Hachama, the blessing of the sun. Since I missed doing this the last time it happened and don’t know if I will still be here to participate the next time, I am determined to do the mitzvah this time around. That being said, I should mention that in the part of the country in which I reside we have an average of 60 clear days out of every 365, so the odds of being able to see the sun on April 8th are not very high. So each day I have been logging on to Wunderground and studying the forecast for all areas within a 1000 mile radius. I am prepared to drive as far as Boise, Idaho. The problem isn’t loading the whole family into the car Tuesday night and driving until we get somewhere with clear skies, the problem is that Wednesday is erev Pesach which means cooking for the seders, a lot of cooking, a lot of cooking that can’t be done if on Wednesday morning we happen to be in Boise, Idaho. So, I humbly ask Hashem that wherever there are Jews that wish to perform the mitzvah of blessing the sun, there should be clear skies for them to say the Brachah. If it turns out my merit is not so good, my back-up plan is to cook all the food on Monday, pack it away in Tupperware in an ice chest, and have our seders in a Best Western somewhere in Idaho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home